Friday 03 March 2017
Commencing at 3:00pmNewnham Street Saleroom
Friday 24th February – 5pm to 8pm,
Saturday 25th February – 9am to 1pm,
Thursday 2nd March – 9am to 6pm,
Morning of sale from 9am
In addition to our monthly auctions of Antiques & Collectors’ Items, we have developed a calendar of specialist Book auctions providing a more specific marketplace for vendors and buyers
Sports books, travel & topography, aviation & military, maps & prints, childrens books, modern first editions, historical documents etc.
Included in our next Auction
- Rolleston : Parsifal. Deluxe Limited Ed. Signed by Pogany.
- Mallet : First Principles of Observational Seismology, 1862. Very scarce.
- McCarthy J. H. : A collection of the writer’s hand-written diaries, in various formats, for each year from 1886 – 1935. ( Individual Diaries for the years 1878, 1880, 1882, 1890, 1894, 1895, & 1933 are not present ). Entries include references to accounts of excursions abroad, visits to Galleries, dictation of his work, practise with an air pistol, books bought and read, Theatre outings, visits to a wide range of UK locations, visits to Publishers including Chatto & Kegan Paul, House of Commons, Meetings of the Dramatists’ Club, meetings with various celebrities including – Walter Crane, George Meredith, Jerome and Pinero, monetary matters and a wide range of other activities. Some of the entries are very brief, others more extensive. Overall, a wide ranging biographical, literary and historical archive of potential interest to a range of research specialists in a number of fields. Together with a small collection of other miscellaneous note books.
- Bacon’s Atlas of the British Isles, C.1885
County Maps, City Plans, Census Statistics etc
- Medieval written Latin manuscript on vellum. A single leaf from a religious/theological work featuring decorative marginal floral illumination in gilt and colour. Framed and glazed with both sides visible.
- 1st 4th. Battalion Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. Bareilly 1915. Small landscape album containing 24 contemporary postcard sized photographs featuring : a panoramic view of the whole Battalion at Clyde Barracks 1915; Individual members of Senior ranks with names; Officers,Sergeants & Corporals (3); other ancillary staff; Group photos of A, B, C, D, E, F, G, & H Companies (8); Band; Drums & Bugles; Signallers; Scouts; P.R.I.,Qr.Mr. and Native Establishment ( Indian ). This Battalion served in India 1914-1916; Aden 1916-1917; Egypt 1917-1918 so clearly the photographs in the album relate to its service in India. The photographer is identified on the album’s cover as Abdulla Khan, Ranikhet. All but two of the photographs are in vg condition with sharp focus and little evidence of fading.
- A collection eight coloured silk embroidered postcards sent from the Front in France during WWI by a member of the RAMC to family members in the UK.
- Jerome K. Jerome : Manuscript of an unpublished and little known Dramatic work ‘The Making of the Caffington-Smiths’ (reincarnation dream play) written in 1916 in collaboration with Justin Huntly McCarthy and referred to in his autobiography ‘My Life and Times.’
- Justin Huntly McCarthy, 1859 – 1936, Archive (son of Justin MaCarthy 1830- 1912). A substantial collection of manuscript copies of Dramatic Works, Writings, Diaries, Photographs etc (including a work produced in collaboration with Jerome K. Jerome) reflecting his life and times.
- Scarce Nister Children’s colour books :
- A Carriage and Pair, a picture book for little folks. C.1898
- Bo Peep – miniature book. C. 1895.
- Guichard K. : British Etchers 1850 – 1940
- First Editions
- Hemingway E. : Across the River and Into the Trees.
- Lawrence D. : Apropos of Lady Chatterley’s Lover
- Wells G. : Star Begotten
- Wodehouse P. : Spring Fever
- Westcott M. ( Christie ) : Absent in the Spring
- Christie A. : The Mousetrap – French’s Acting Edition
Illustrated catalogues are available for all Antique and Specialist sales. (£5.00 by post). These sales can also be viewed on–line 10 days prior to the auction.
Entries are accepted up to three weeks prior to a Specialist sale or by prior arrangement, please contact the nearest office for further details.
Condition reports and further images of lots are available for this sale via the the-saleroom.com
We regret that we are unable to process requests for condition reports received after 1.00pm on the day preceding the sale
Clients requiring delivery of furniture should enquire at the office.
Mailing & Postage
All mailing is handled by Mail Boxes Etc.
St Loyes House, 20 St. Loyes Street, Bedford MK40 1ZL
T: 01234 305 544
Regular valuation days are held in the saleroom for clients wishing to include items in the sale.
ENTRIES INVITED FOR NEXT SALE
If you own anything which you think might be suitable for one of our monthly sales please contact Rod Sancto on 01234 266366 or email@example.com
For an approximate estimate, email us with a description and image of your item. For larger or multiple items, we are happy to arrange for a valuer to visit your home or premises at your convenience.
Bedford – 3rd March 2017 – Entries Now Invited
Bedford – 5th May 2017
Bedford – 7th July 2017
Bedford – 1st September 2017
Bedford – 3rd November 2017
Recent sale results from this auction are displayed below. To view highlights from other auctions, click here.
Books, Maps & Ephemera
An early 20thC Japanese story book with coloured illustrations, possibly with some hand colouring, concertina in format, 10'' x 7''. Fabric binding and 'pages'.
Sold for £500
Farsi manuscript volume of Poetry, small qto. calf binding with a floral blind-stamped design. The book features the work of the 14th. C Persian poet Hafez which has been beautifully transcribed using the original Farsi script to create an attractive two column page format with decorative calligraphic margins. Together with an additional 8vo volume featuring a printed text in the same script. Both late 19th. C.
Sold for £850
Hansel and Gretel and Other Stories by the Brothers Grimm, illustrated by Kay Nielsen, Hodder, . Large qto., original gilt decorated/illustrated cream cloth, teg. Twelve tipped-in colour plates with titled tissue guards, black and white illustrations, decorative historiated initials, decorated endpapers, Limited edition 241/600, signed by Kay Nielsen.
Sold for £1700
Carroll L.: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Nd. C. 1908. 1st.Ed. thus. Illustrated by Harry Rountree. Qto Hb. Gilt titling & colour illus. on cover. Colour plates and vignettes by Rountree. Uncommon/scarce edition.
Sold for £560
Wodehouse P.: First Editions, 2nd. Printings. Summer Lighning, (1929); Very Good Jeeves, (1930); Laughing Gas, (1936); Mr. Mulliner Speaking, (1929); Meet Mr. Mulliner, (1927). First edition date in brackets, interval between 1st. & 2nd. printings varies. All titles with bright, clean dust wrappers which have 2/6 on spine.
Sold for £650
Photographic Journal / Album of the Voyage of ''H.M.S. Egeria, Pacific Station, during Commission, 1908 - 1910'' - original photographs taken by ''Second Sick Berth Steward, Charles Randall, R.N. A 'tall' hb, qto album featuring accomplished original photographs together with manuscript annotated labels under each mounted (but loose) photograph. The photographs feature the vessel itself, members of the crew undertaking various duties, activities and leisure time pursuits; locations visited including Port Simpson, Spicer Island, Refuge Bay, Esquimalt Harbour and Beaver Harbour Indian Village. Footnote. The Egeria arrived in British Columbia in 1898 where she was engaged in coastal surveys for the Royal Navy until 1910, by which time coast surveying responsibilities had been transferred to the Canadian Hydrographic Service. Commander Morris Henry Smyth was in command until Commander C. H. Simpson was appointed in command on 1 February 1900. Egeria was primarily involved in resurveying settled areas of the British Columbia coast to create modern charts on a larger scale. The last survey it conducted was of Welcome Pass off the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia.
Sold for £920
Small collection of official Naval Handbooks and manuals dating from early to mid twentieth century featuring: Torpedo Drill Book 1914, Seaman's Pocket Book 1943, Parade and Rifle Drill 1949, German Ground Mines, Merchant Ship Recognition 1943, Notes on the Royal Navy 1964. Mainly 8vo Pb. Together with some other Handbooks. Various formats, HMSO Publications
Sold for £500
Rennell J.: Memoir of a Map of Hindoostan or the Mogul's Empire - With an Examination of some Positions in the former System of Indian Geography and a Complete Index of Names to the Map, 1785. 2nd. Edition. Qto. Contem. tree calf, gilt, marbled eps. Large engraved folding map of 'Hindoostan' by Rennell dated 1782 (in two sections) facing title page; engraved titular cartouche featuring figure of Britannia, territories hand coloured in outline. Text block also features four other maps, 3 folding. Scarce early edition.
Sold for £580
Poems 1886 - 1929. Macmillan 1929. Limited, signed edition, No. 486 of 525 copies. Three volume set. Quarto, red crushed morocco, spines gilt lettered, teg, inner dentelles, marbled eps, hand-made paper. Binding protected with glassine wrapper. Signed by Kipling on the verso of the page before the portrait frontispiece of Kipling by Francis Dodd which is also signed ( in pencil ). A near fine set.
Sold for £500
Royal Family & Friends at Sandringham & other Norfolk Locations - photographic archive of 24 monochrome prints dating from 1865 to 1913 (21.5 x 16.5 cm) featuring Royal Family groups, individuals and other nobillity, Sandringham House & Gardens, Runcton Hall, Hardwick Hall Suffolk, and the statue of the Prince of Wales' Horse 'Persimmon.' The photographs derive from original negatives in the possession of a member of the Gurney family (two of whom feature in one photograph) one of whose descendants consigned the archive. Each photograph has an annotated note attached to the back providing information about who or what is featured together with a date.
Sold for £620
An extensive collection of legal documents and ledgers relating to Aldham Hall in Suffolk including Conveyances, Deeds of Surrender, Settlement, Nomination, Covenant, Lease & Assignment etc. Together with four Hadham Hall Court Books featuring contemporary hand-written entries. The date range for the whole archive ranges from the 17th. to the 20th. Century
Sold for £2,300
McCarthy J. H.: A collection of the writer's hand-written diaries, in various formats, for each year from 1886 - 1935. (Individual Diaries for the years 1878, 1880, 1882, 1890, 1894, 1895, & 1933 are not present). Entries include references to accounts of excursions abroad, visits to Galleries, dictation of his work, practise with an air pistol, books bought and read, Theatre outings, visits to a wide range of UK locations, visits to Publishers including Chatto & Kegan Paul, House of Commons, Meetings of the Dramatists' Club, meetings with various celebrities including - Walter Crane, George Meredith, Jerome and Pinero, monetary matters and a wide range of other activities. Some of the entries are very brief, others more extensive. Overall, a wide ranging biographical, literary and historical archive of potential interest to a range of research specialists in a number of fields. Together with a small collection of other miscellaneous note books.
Sold for £1600
The Eagle Comic: A complete run/sequence of this children's publication featuring Vols. 1 to 12 and 48 parts of Vol.13, 1950 - 1962. A private enthusiast's carefully preserved and collated collection reluctantly consigned to auction!
Sold for £600
Dickens C.: The Letters of Charles Dickens, The British Academy Pilgrim Edition, 1965-2002, Clarendon Press, edited by Madelaine House, Graham Storey et al. Complete 1st. Edition set. Royal 8vo. Twelve volumes in original (sleeve protected) dust wrappers. Scarce complete set in near fine condition.
Sold for £500
Dandy, Beano & Hotspur. A collection of these comics dating from the mid 1940s together with a small number of other titles
Sold for £1800
Bryant A.: Map of the County of Northampton from Actual Survey in the Years 1824, 1825 & 1826. Map dated 1st. June 1827
Sold for £640
Louis Wain: 'Such Fun', nd. C. 1930. Qto. hb. Colour illustrated laminated boards, Glazed Colour frontis & one other colour plate together with many other in text two/three tone colour illustrations. 'Mother Goose In Catland', nd. C. 1930. Qto. soft card binding with colour plate inset. Glazed colour frontis together with two tone in text illustrations. Both titles very scarce.
Sold for £280
'Scrap' Album associated with Queen Victoria A small, square cloth bound book with gilt lettering and decorative features and aeg. There are manuscript contributions in German, French and English, many in an accomplished calligraphic style. Also included are compact 'cut out' engraved vignettes, some coloured - typical of this genre, together with a watercolour, letters, and an original wax imprint of the 'seal of the Diet of Frankfurt.' Intriguingly there is also a section of an envelope featuring a circular red stamp, purporting to have been written by Queen Victoria. There are also several other postal items: One purports to be the writing of 'H.R.H. The Princess Alice', another, the writing of H.R.H. The Princess of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (Feodora of Leningen) 1807-1872 - the half sister of Queen Victoria. This second letter is addressed to 'Baroness Louise Lehzen, Governess and later adviser and companion to Queen Victoria. Both have black margins possibly linking them to a recent bereavement.
Three further cuttings from envelopes purport to feature the autograph of Her 'Majesty the Queen of Prussia' - Queen Louise of Prussia; another the autograph of 'The Princess Frederick William of Prussia, nee , Princess Royal of England.'Lastly, a cutting bearing the autograph of 'Her Majesty the Queen of Holland - nee the Princess of ....?'
Finally, there is short, poetic, farewell paragraph written and signed by Louise von Lehzen dated June 29 - 1856. The Vendor has indicated that there was a family tradition that this album was the property of Queen Victoria's Governess although there is no documentary evidence to support this provenance. The period contents and obvious age of the album may lend some credence to this notion however, or at least some 'royal' connection. Review of the Condition Report is advised.
Sold for £600